If you have made the decision to have orthodontic treatment, you’re embarking on a life changing experience. The smile you’ll see in the mirror at the end of your treatment will boost your confidence and give you a renewed sense of purpose.
But that doesn’t mean life has to change between now and then. These days, advances in orthodontic technology means braces fit in with your lifestyle. However, to get that life changing smile, there are a few things you need to be aware of.
5 top tips for brace care
- Clean your braces or aligner after every meal. It is so important to keep your appliance clean because if you don’t, this can lead to tooth decay.
- Avoid highly acidic and sugary drinks. This is great advice even if you’re not wearing braces, but particularly so if you are. These types of drinks can really harm the health of your teeth.
- Don’t chew gum or eat hard sweets. Your braces aren’t invincible and the brackets and archwires can break if you eat hard food. If this happens, you need to see us right away so we can fix the problem without it affecting your overall treatment.
- Use mouthwash and brushes we provide. The mouthwash will help to remove any pieces of food that may have become stuck in your braces, while the brushes we provide are recommended to help reduce the risk of plaque building up on your teeth.
- If at any time you’re concerned about your teeth or braces, contact us immediately. We’re here to help and to ensure your treatment is as enjoyable and successful as possible.